Sunday, October 23, 2011

I’ve Been Everywhere, Man . . .

Kevin Scanlon Photographing at Dawn
copyright by Dory Adams, all rights reserved

In case you’ve been wondering, I haven’t gone missing. I’ve been on the road, traveling with my favorite photographer, Kevin Scanlon (who also happens to be my husband). Kevin shows me the world in ways that I would otherwise miss. All I have to do is hang out with him and watch him work to see things in new ways. Believe me, it’s not just with anyone that I would venture out early enough to watch dawn break over the city on a cold morning. Writer Jack Kerouac, who was a friend of photographer Robert Frank (Kerouac wrote the introduction to Frank’s book The Americans), once said that a good lesson for any writer is to pay attention to how a photographer works and to look at what he shoots. I say, Amen.

There’s an excellent interview with Kevin at “Wedge of Smoke” by Chris Crook, which reveals insight to his creative process and the evolution of his subject matter. Click here to read the interview and see some of Kevin’s photographs.


Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Edd Fuller said...

Dory, another Sunday has passed with no new post on In This Light. Hope all is well with you and that you are writing and taking pictures. Best wishes.

Dory Adams said...

Edd, it's great to know my posts have been missed. All is well, and I have been focusing my writing time on my novel project. I didn't intend to be away from my blog for so long, and I'll post again one of these Sundays.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dory,

I'm not sure my previous post reached you, so..Here it is. I'm a friend of Mic B., who recommended your blog. I love it and hope there is more! Would love to talk sometime.

Mia (non-native writer in Pgh)

Dory Adams said...

Mia, glad you found my blog -- there will be more one of these days, but right now I need to keep my writing time dedicated to a different project. Any friend of Mic's is a friend of mine.